Clean, odour-free, pale pink and a minimal build-up of wax are indications of healthy ears.
SIGNS OF EAR DISEASE
- Unpleasant odour
- Excessive scratching and pawing of the ear head
- Sensitivity to touch, often resulting in pain
- Constant tilting/shaking of the head to one side
- Black or yellowish discharge
- Redness or swelling of the ear flap or canal
- Changes in behavior like listlessness, depression or irritability
- Accumulation of dark brown wax
- Loss of balance or hearing and disorientation
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF EAR INFECTIONS
PREDISPOSING FACTORS SUCH AS:
- The shape of the ear.
- Climatic conditions (eg – high humidity)
- Your pets lifestyle (eg – swimming)
- Diseases in other parts of your pets body.
PRIMARY CAUSES SUCH AS:
- Allergies (food, flea bite)
- Foreign bodies (ticks, seeds)
- Parasites (ear mites)
- Skin problems
PERPETUATING CAUSES SUCH AS:
- Bacterial infections.
- Fungal infections.
- Middle ear infections.
- Chronic thickening of the ear canal.